What to Leave Behind - Part 2

Secondly - show relevant work. By relevant I mean: It should be work that would interest the art director in question; Should relate back to your portfolio. Remember, you're trying to remind the AD who you are, what you do, and why you should be remembered. And for the gang back at the office, that didn't get to meet you face to face, you are trying to capture their attention with one quick glance. Finally, remember this vital fact - you are just one of a few hundred folks that the art director has met during the event. Please do not be offended if the art director turns down the large print, or hardbound coffee table size book of your artwork. Personally, I take as few bags, and as small as possible on my trips. It helps me deal with my sprints between planes when doing the transfers. 

I'd like to thank all the folks that were very understanding about that fact this year, and I'd like to thank the few folks that were kind enough to mail me their samples/prints. It was greatly appreciated! So which was my favorite leave behind? That would be a really hard call. One of the most effective though was from an artist that had some agency experience at GreatSem and created a "press release kit". In the kit was a business card, a couple of post cards, a few "tear sheets" and a couple of prints of some recent work. I had no trouble remembering who she was, what kind of work she did, and she got the notice of some folks back at the office. Now here's the hard truth. Just a thought...

If the quality of her work weren't above average and the relevancy of her work on target. Her leave behind would not have had any impact at all. First and foremost you have to hit those two important aspects first. It occurred to me that there is one last piece of advice I can pass on about leave-behinds. This might be the most important piece of advice I can pass along. The most important thing to leave-behind is your attitude and ego. No one says you have to agree with everything, or even anything, that is shared with you during a portfolio review, but if you are interested in working with the person across the table from you - recognize one simple fact. Arguing, being belligerent, shouting obscenities or being a prima dona are not successful ways to endear yourself with an art director.