Strange things People ask

What does "Dog Rescue" mean to you? I ask this because I get some of the strangest comments and questions from people. I always answer them and I try really hard not to come off snotty or rude but sometimes I am sure I do. I know growing up you are taught there are no stupid questions but you know what sometimes I think there are. It seems whenever I have puppies I get the same questions. What was the dad? It always says in the petfinder/adopt a pet posting if we know who the dad was or not. Sometimes I feel like asking "can you read? it says in the listing the mom was a stray and no one knew she was pregnant. How big will they get? ok that one I can somewhat understand but what I don't understand is when this is followed by I don't want a dog over XX pounds. My response is usually "with a rescue puppy not knowing the dad it is probably best that you get a full grown dog." And of course they always email back but I want a puppy". Will the dog have health issues when it gets older? I don't know let me check my magical crystal ball! UGH! Oh my favorite question is "Will you take less for the dog then what you are asking?" OMG I am not e-bay or a flea market... OK so with that question I do get a little rude. I usually list all the expenses of what we have into the dog. I say nothing else just list what we have spent on the dog thus far. It is usually more then the adoption fee.

  • Does the dog shed? Why? Do you know why someone got rid of him or her? "Well the dog was a stray at the shelter whose owners never came looking for him but yes I know the exact reason not!".
  • Then the weird statements I get from people: "I don't want a dog that is already fixed because I want my vet to do it". 
  • "You are getting the puppy fixed at 8 weeks is that safe." No it isn't safe but I thought I would give it a try and see what happens.
  • "I really really like this dog but he is too skinny. I don't want to adopt a skinny dog".
  • "I don't want a dog that will bark".
  • "I don't think I should have to pay for a rescue dog" you are correct, I work a full time job trying support my family and volunteer all my free time so you can have a fully vetted, housebroken dog for free!

My favorite all time comment that was made but not to me but one of my rescue friends... let me set the stage for the comment real quick. My rescue friend had a litter of puppies, they were all pretty much identical looking very hard to tell apart. So, instead of having people pre pick she wait till they were all fixed and then had people come over as she approved their applications and pick up and take home a puppy. I forget exactly how many puppies she had but regardless she had left two messages for this one family. They finally called her back by that time there was only one puppy left. When the family found out that all the puppies but one were adopted this is what they said "Well what is wrong with this puppy that no picked it? We don't want the last puppy because something must be wrong with it". My friend was so shocked she said OK and hung up. LOL! Any other rescue folks out there are more then welcome to make comments on this post about the silly things people have said or asked you. We can all use a good laugh and it helps to know we aren't alone in this lonely volunteer work we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment